General Chat For All To Read.

Tiger

Reaction score
Here's a classic show called Connections by James Burke. This is the first episode - the rest are in the playlist.

These videos seem very interesting. Thanks for sharing tldr.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I used to watch this show for a long time.

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
I wonder if this Book, Prophet Song, is any good ?

Below is the answer I got from ~ Bard ~ Google's Large Language Model ( Artificial Intelligence (?) )

Paul Lynch's novel, "Prophet Song," is a captivating and thought-provoking tale set in a dystopian Ireland, where a rising tide of authoritarianism threatens to engulf the country. The story follows Eilish Stack, a scientist and mother of four, whose life is thrown into turmoil when her husband, a trade unionist, is abducted by the newly formed secret police.

As Ireland descends into chaos and civil war, Eilish must navigate the treacherous landscape of this oppressive regime, fighting to protect her family and preserve a semblance of normalcy amidst the growing darkness. The novel explores themes of love, loss, resilience, and the enduring power of hope in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Key Themes:

• The Rise of Authoritarianism: The novel delves into the dangers of unchecked power and the erosion of civil liberties as a government veers towards tyranny.
  • The Impact of Political Turmoil on Ordinary Lives: Eilish's personal struggles mirror the broader societal upheaval, highlighting the profound impact of political instability on individual lives.
  • The Strength of Family and Community: Eilish's unwavering commitment to her family and her willingness to connect with others provide a beacon of hope amidst the despair.
  • The Persistence of Hope: Despite the bleak circumstances, Eilish and other characters cling to the belief in a better future, demonstrating the resilience of the human spirit.

Literary Style:

Lynch employs a powerful and evocative writing style, immersing readers in the grim realities of Eilish's world. The novel's narrative is infused with a sense of urgency, capturing the breathless pace of events and the constant threat of danger.

Critical Acclaim:

"Prophet Song" has garnered widespread critical acclaim, praised for its gripping plot, compelling characters, and exploration of timely themes. The novel has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize and has received numerous accolades for its literary merit.

Overall, "Prophet Song" is a poignant and thought-provoking novel that offers a stark warning about the dangers of unchecked power and the importance of safeguarding individual freedoms.

tldr

Reaction score
More on this Dutch thing. Comparisons are being made to 1848, when there were liberal revolutions across Europe. Schoellhammer says he thinks the present environment is more similar to the pre-revolutionary 1840s than the oft toted 1920s and 30s. He was also on Neil Oliver, where he made some additional points. Interesting times.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Stopping immigration will not work, it is too late for that. The free money must be stopped and they must be removed.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Native Irish need to riot more. Far more. These are rookie numbers.

Rioting is exactly how rights are earned now. By making the state fearful. This is how BLM and the Islamic lobby both achieved their goals. Through violence.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
What was seen was largely looting. I suspect most of the rest was agent provocateur.

I await the presumed announcement of a death which may ignite stuff but otherwise this episode appears to me to be finished.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Too Totalitarian to Talk - Very Very Scary Town
Native Irish need to riot more. Far more. These are rookie numbers.

Rioting is exactly how rights are earned now. By making the state fearful. This is how BLM and the Islamic lobby both achieved their goals. Through violence.
Ireland's too small for rioting, the population too divided(and abroad) and hostile to each other, sure look at the numbers on-line and how they carry on? Not much cooperation there.

Anyway the problems which you call for rioting aren't widespread enough and generally there's little or no trouble brought against the general population from foreigners and in most cases it's quite the opposite.

Not saying that some individual towns and quarters haven't been adversely effected and sure there is a real culture shock being experienced, yes sure but for every foreigner crime there's plenty of local crime to distract and put in perspective, foreigners may be bad but Irish are worse to each other.

Yes, there may be a time to riot in future but for now surely there's better and more effective things to do in taking constructive action to progress?

Depends on the problems being experienced - Many solutions required??

Hermit

Reaction score
I wonder if this Book, Prophet Song, is any good ?

Below is the answer I got from ~ Bard ~ Google's Large Language Model ( Artificial Intelligence (?) )

Paul Lynch's novel, "Prophet Song," is a captivating and thought-provoking tale set in a dystopian Ireland, where a rising tide of authoritarianism threatens to engulf the country. The story follows Eilish Stack, a scientist and mother of four, whose life is thrown into turmoil when her husband, a trade unionist, is abducted by the newly formed secret police.

As Ireland descends into chaos and civil war, Eilish must navigate the treacherous landscape of this oppressive regime, fighting to protect her family and preserve a semblance of normalcy amidst the growing darkness. The novel explores themes of love, loss, resilience, and the enduring power of hope in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Key Themes:

• The Rise of Authoritarianism: The novel delves into the dangers of unchecked power and the erosion of civil liberties as a government veers towards tyranny.
  • The Impact of Political Turmoil on Ordinary Lives: Eilish's personal struggles mirror the broader societal upheaval, highlighting the profound impact of political instability on individual lives.
  • The Strength of Family and Community: Eilish's unwavering commitment to her family and her willingness to connect with others provide a beacon of hope amidst the despair.
  • The Persistence of Hope: Despite the bleak circumstances, Eilish and other characters cling to the belief in a better future, demonstrating the resilience of the human spirit.

Literary Style:

Lynch employs a powerful and evocative writing style, immersing readers in the grim realities of Eilish's world. The novel's narrative is infused with a sense of urgency, capturing the breathless pace of events and the constant threat of danger.

Critical Acclaim:

"Prophet Song" has garnered widespread critical acclaim, praised for its gripping plot, compelling characters, and exploration of timely themes. The novel has been shortlisted for the Booker Prize and has received numerous accolades for its literary merit.

Overall, "Prophet Song" is a poignant and thought-provoking novel that offers a stark warning about the dangers of unchecked power and the importance of safeguarding individual freedoms.
So he won the prize for his book about a future with a big bad nationalist authoritarian Ireland and how we need to worship refugees. According to reviews, the book abandons the use of paragraphs and quotation marks in the dialogue - a common trend in postmodern literature - if you want to win the literary prizes then write love letters to refugees and abuse the language as much as possible with free verse stream-of-consciousness shite.

Tiger

Reaction score
So he won the prize for his book about a future with a big bad nationalist authoritarian Ireland and how we need to worship refugees. According to reviews, the book abandons the use of paragraphs and quotation marks in the dialogue - a common trend in postmodern literature - if you want to win the literary prizes then write love letters to refugees and abuse the language as much as possible with free verse stream-of-consciousness shite.

Yeah John Waters was talking about this book on his interview with James Delingpole recently.

He points out that the author wrote the book during ‘lockdown’. A 1984 style authoritarian imposed lockdown from a Leftist government.

tldr

Reaction score
I am only 20 minutes in ~ ~ This is very interesting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvlt_JId91M

Watched this. It's a hazardous pursuit revealing women's secrets - they can get very upset about it. He dances around a bit but sticks to his point. Maybe there's more to be said on this - universal suffrage has altered the content and pitch of politics so that provides standing. Didn't you imply you were a woman in some post somewhere? I wouldn't have gathered it from your posts but it's worth asking. Are you sure you'd like to pursue the topic? To look into a place women dare not look?

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Watched this. It's a hazardous pursuit revealing women's secrets - they can get very upset about it. He dances around a bit but sticks to his point. Maybe there's more to be said on this - universal suffrage has altered the content and pitch of politics so that provides standing. Didn't you imply you were a woman in some post somewhere? I wouldn't have gathered it from your posts but it's worth asking. Are you sure you'd like to pursue the topic? To look into a place women dare not look?
No ~ I am not a Woman ~ I am a mostly rational Man.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score

THANKS FOR THAT
i have his meditations and they are frightning in their honesty and logic --there was no self pity in his world and the line from his book that i treasure is maybe the strangest "" THE MOMENTS I THOUGHT WERE THE MOST USELESS ---TURNED OUT TO BE THE MOST USEFUL"" .
This refers to the quieting of the mind by allowing it to divest itself of cares and find quiet and from the quiet the true source of knowledge all strength arises.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom