General Chat For All To Read.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
I was big into U2 all through the 79/80's/90's but things changed since the noughties/911 etc.
Now I'm happy composing my own lyrics, rhymes & poems daily, accompanied with lashings of selected blended tea.
Have started of a 90 day abstinence , that makes me very very happy, to exercise a sincere discipline which delights in being 'Very Good'
Rare quality tops certainly make me happy but living without makes me happier still, to be in full control of one's diet is a great boost and reassuring comfort, not lacking or in need - Happiness follows, one way or the other.

Cynical? Oh yes!! But hopefully not in too bad of a way.
So of course, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater, for a time they were brilliant🥲

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQOb51qZ-c

I'm happy to discuss writing in general with you if you create a thread for it. I can do scansion very well and have read far too many books of poems.

free and clean

Reaction score
Hmph, something's bugging me, was Running To Stand Still on the first side or the second 🤔 Actually I think it was the last song on the first side
Yes it's the last song on the first side if I recall correctly. The song has a certain resonance for me as my father was a teacher in Ballymun for a number of years. We were living in Glasnevin, close to poppintree park, and I remember vividly the first time I walked around the flats with my father - the dirt, graffiti, smell of urine; the young hoods launching any object they could find from the top floors of the blocks.

The area was awful but it still had a bit of character. The towers were all named after the signatories of the proclamation. Now since the regeneration I understand they've adopted awful soulless names that mean nothing (like Our Lady's Children's Hospital being changed to Children's Hospital Ireland :sick:)

Anyway, it beggars belief that there are still people out there who deny undoubted quality, and over such a long period as well.

Take this song that I first heard on the Late Late years ago.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb7HMG_9ROU&pp=ygUbdGhlIG1pcmFjbGUgb2Ygam9leSByYW1vbmUg

Hermit

Reaction score
I never liked U2, I wouldn't consider them a rock band - they are pop rock, boring, bland music, there is no edge to it (pun unintended). Safe, predictable music for normies and people who are not really into music. They had a couple of okay pop songs in the 80s, that's about it. Bono is a total wanker, always has been.

Serious question; does anyone on this forum listen to anything other than 80's 4/4 pop rock? Jaysus what a way to live...
80s pop rock is the bottom of the barrel. I listen to classic rock, psychedelia, 60s pop, classical, techno, prog house, original soundtracks.

valamhic

Reaction score
There you are, there is a dedicated music thread here and now the general chat thread is turned to music topics.
It is amazing that (with the exception of Myles) no one sees anything wrong with this. I got sacked because
I would not allow this. Clearly there is a intellectual gulf between me and the rest here. I suspect it is a class
issue.
Here is a song

Let grasses grow and water flow in a free and easy way,
But give me enough of the rare auld stuff we're speeding every day,
Inspectors all from Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim too,
We'll give them the slip and let the blow pipes rip,
Pumping out the slurry pooh.

Diddley eye die dumb, diddly eye die rum,
Diddly eye die diddly eye deh
Diddly eye die dumb, eye die dum
diddly eye die diddle eye deh.

At the foot of the hill where we let it spill,
Where it skites right up to the sky,
From the noise and the smell you can plainly tell,
There is slurry spreadin' near by,
For it fills the air with odour rare,
And betwixt both me and you,
As home we stroll rid of every bowl,
Of the rare auld slurry Pooh.

Chroris

We strive to deliver
slurry into the river,
if it can't be spread on the land.
At the dead of night well out of sight,
Come morning all will be grand,
As we quietly dream
staying well upstream,
more cattle we will buy,
No money in the bank
was ever known to stank,
No matter how long it may lie.

Choris

Now learned men who use the pen,
Have wrote our praises high,
Of the calves we wean in Ireland green,
Fed on Barley wheat and Rye,
Throw away your pills, it 'll cure all ills,
Of Pagan, Christian or Jew,
Throw off you coat and grease your throat,
With a whiff of the slurry pooh.

Last edited:

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score
I was big into U2 all through the 79/80's/90's but things changed since the noughties/911 etc.
Now I'm happy composing my own lyrics, rhymes & poems daily, accompanied with lashings of selected blended tea.
Have started of a 90 day abstinence , that makes me very very happy, to exercise a sincere discipline which delights in being 'Very Good'
Rare quality tops certainly make me happy but living without makes me happier still, to be in full control of one's diet is a great boost and reassuring comfort, not lacking or in need - Happiness follows, one way or the other.

Cynical? Oh yes!! But hopefully not in too bad of a way.
So of course, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater, for a time they were brilliant🥲

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xQOb51qZ-c

What is your abstinence regime going to exclude?

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Too Totalitarian to Talk - Very Very Scary Town
What is your abstinence regime going to exclude?
Everything's away - The lot, bar an odd ibruprofen when needed.
It's easy to cancel out the 'habits' when one makes up the mind.
In recent times I've been considering those people who are having a really hard time and who have nothing to help them through their difficult lives.
When I compare my petty problems/yearning to their real heavy problems/desperation to which they are prevented in solving/sorting, then that provides me a perspective in which I can adjust and control my motivations - by putting ones self in their shoes and standing along side in respect.
The habits fade, replaced by firm determination and a peaceful abstinence, after all it's only 90 days a short period till it's time to recreate again:).
As an added bonus, the break fosters a wonderful sense of focus and so one returns to the habit with a responsible purposeful appreciation which makes for regular and far less in consumption - less binging and over indulgence.
A bit like new age Lent in a way?

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
I never liked U2, I wouldn't consider them a rock band - they are pop rock, boring, bland music, there is no edge to it (pun unintended). Safe, predictable music for normies and people who are not really into music. They had a couple of okay pop songs in the 80s, that's about it. Bono is a total wanker, always has been.

80s pop rock is the bottom of the barrel. I listen to classic rock, psychedelia, 60s pop, classical, techno, prog house, original soundtracks.
My man!

One of my guilty music pleasures is dreampop/shoegaze, especially 50's. The Flamingos, Jive Bombers etc.

Found this trio while back covering the Theme song for Westworld (TV series). Pretty impressive.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdl5_lDmt4

valamhic

Reaction score
Do you have a valid ESTA :unsure: the goons in Dublin will probably grill you if you are towards the end of the ESTA validity period......they did it to me in 2018
Does it include being on the sex offenders register?

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom