The death of Catholic Ireland, greatly exaggerated?

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Surely you just have to attend a mass on a Sunday in most churches to see that its on its last legs. I'm an extremely lapsed Catholic but I quite like the mass, so I go the odd time. In my local parish (a working class part of Dublin) the church is about 80 per cent empty and the vast, vast majority of those that are there are elderly.
Frank is right Bocht. The only people going to church anymore are blue rinsed bead rattlers and geriatric old men.

The Priests are even older still.

In a generation the whole thing will be wound up.

Z

Zipporah's Flint

The SSPX Resistance, which is not a wealthy group and has to rely greatly on the generosity, even for house masses, of their congregation, feels under pressure as they are described as a kind of right wing holocaust denial cult fringe group. So they try to stay out of the limelight to exist at all, even not publicising their mass schedule - which is actually pretty impressive, expanding nearly all around Ireland - in order to be allowed exist at all. So again no publicity so it's hard to see how they attract new adherents.

Such are the problems that are out there!

I believe though that they have a Covenant in Cork.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
There's also old fashioned disinformation.
There's no such thing as old fashioned "disinformation". That buzzword only came around a couple of years ago during the Corona hysteria.

Around the same time you got a sticker and a lollipop for taking the first of your dozen jabs.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what your pessimism about the future of the Church is based on Myles? If you go to the Catholic Latin mass you will see all ages there, and the priests are generally very young. Also all of those Orders, the Indult ones, the SSPX and the Resistance have huge numbers of Irish vocations, possibly they already exceed the numbers coming forward as seminarians in the various Dioceses in Ireland.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Zip, I think the nuns that were in Cork are connected to the Resistance, although not a formal part of them I don't think. The Resistance have their main house in West Cork but travel very extensively across the country. During Covid they hardly missed a beat, they were the most impressive of all religious orders in Ireland, putting huge effort into clandestine house masses etc.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I don't know what your pessimism about the future of the Church is based on Myles? If you go to the Catholic Latin mass you will see all ages there, and the priests are generally very young. Also all of those Orders, the Indult ones, the SSPX and the Resistance have huge numbers of Irish vocations, possibly they already exceed the numbers coming forward as seminarians in the various Dioceses in Ireland.
I would've thought those masses are fringe groupings?

Have you gone to a regular church that makes up the vast majority? They're on life support Sir.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Well whats your explanation for what happened last Saturday then Myles? As I pointed out, no national and I don't think local, media publicity, no famous personality, no national group calling the event as such, not an important feast day etc etc, it was just a small group calling for a national Rosary and gigantic numbers turn up? Maybe I was unclear on the video, those buses that you see all have another bus parked behind them, it was truly an incredible crowd.

dropkickmejeebus

Reaction score
I'm converting to Eastern Orthodox. Not a spur of the moment decision. I've struggled with the Catholic outlook since Francis was ordained. Even before I think.
It's become hollow.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Too Totalitarian to Talk - Very Very Scary Town
I'm converting to Eastern Orthodox. Not a spur of the moment decision. I've struggled with the Catholic outlook since Francis was ordained. Even before I think.
It's become hollow.

Hallelujah Sister Sticle, don't forget to pray for us now and then god bless you.

Sister Sticle.jpg

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
But have you looked at the traditional Catholic movement, the Latin mass etc?

dropkickmejeebus

Reaction score
But have you looked at the traditional Catholic movement, the Latin mass etc?
I have. But Orthodoxy for me seems to be the truer form of Christianity.
I've spent some time studying it, did their Lenten fast and went to their Easter liturgy. It just seems right to me.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Well good luck whatever you decide, I wish you the best!

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Well whats your explanation for what happened last Saturday then Myles? As I pointed out, no national and I don't think local, media publicity, no famous personality, no national group calling the event as such, not an important feast day etc etc, it was just a small group calling for a national Rosary and gigantic numbers turn up? Maybe I was unclear on the video, those buses that you see all have another bus parked behind them, it was truly an incredible crowd.
I didn't see the demographics of the worshippers Sir but if they all had grey hair its simply a matter of time I'm afraid.

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
Most people who were baptized Catholic probably identify more as Christians than Catholics.

I for one am not impressed with the church over recent years, especially the leadership of the current Pope.

If Catholicism is to be saved, it needs to modernize, move away from the wokeness of the world, reform to traditional values as well as modernize its role in society.

I believe we should allow priests to marry and I have no issue with women becomming priests themselves.

I do believe the Protestant church is in more danger however, they have gone full woke in allowing a woke agenda to infiltrate many of their churches.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I have no issue with women becomming priests themselves.

I do believe the Protestant church is in more danger however, they have gone full woke in allowing a woke agenda to infiltrate many of their churches.
Could those two issues be linked in any way?

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom