Learning Irish is an act of political revolution

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score

The Political Value of the Irish Language​

Daniel O’Connell killed the Irish language politically. In his day the Irish speakers formed the vast majority of the total population. In 1836 Lord Lyndhurst referred to Irish Catholics who sought equality with Protestants as ‘aliens in blood, in religion and in language.

It is now commonly accepted that Ireland without its language cannot lay claim to nationhood, though it might obtain political independence. Without the language, but with political independence, it might, owing to its insular situation, resist Anglicising influences for generations.

A people devoted to the national language are a patriotic people. A people who let their language die will let their country slip into the hands of the enemy

Last edited:

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
Desmond Fennell on whether Ireland was really a nation

Writing while at university several decades after partial independence had been achieved, the young Desmond was troubled by the question of whether Ireland was a true country or not.

About Being Normal: My Life in Normal Circumstances’ (2017)

“Our parliament modelled on Westminster, our laws largely English, our etiquette and social usage English, English the language of almost the entire country, what claim have we to nationhood? Race? But purity of race is not essential to nationhood, and anyhow our Danish, Norman, Scots and English elements would be something of a stumbling-block. Tradition and history? But we have separated ourselves from our traditions and our present ideas have their roots elsewhere. Exiled from our national heritage, our history is merely the story of our biological antecedents. We have coins of our own and stamps and a tricolour and a national anthem, and our letter-boxes are painted emerald green, but the basic fact of nationality – distinctive national institutions and culture and way of life – are non-existent. Our nationality is a myth of imagination. Those things which make up a nation we just have not got.”

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
IMG_0378.png

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
I was always good at Irish but I will give it a revision here now as well, as i intend to seriously polish it up.

i do my Spanish daily and am near 500 days. I can read Spanish fairly well and next January might go away for a month to speak it

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score

you have said a lot here .
my wife was doing a teachers course in Irish given by the rte woman Nuala ni Auligh i think and a falcon appeared on a tree in the grounds/park of kilkenny castle where they were doing their outdoor course -- look she said PUC NA GAOITHE an Irish falcon .
i who sometimes listen at the wrong time and say the odd thing --said that is brilliant if i had been told that as a kid i would have learned Irish --she said what do you mean its brilliant --i said the old people were not prudish and they had an incredible language which was naturally philosophic and part of the power of the language was that it really said what it says on the tin which today startles our castrated senses .
PUC == FUCK
NA ===OF
GAOITHE ==WIND ===== THE WIND FUCKER as the old people who were not required by THEIR IRISH society to be prudish saw the falcon over its prey hovering and thrusting its pelvis like it was riding somebody in order to get its wing action to work properly .
We have more Nobel prizes for English literature per head than any other and i explain this to foreigners as follows --when you look at on entries re this some of them hint at the reason but don't go far enough they state we use HIBERNO ENGLISH as the British academics could not get their heads around the fact that the Irish language in the background was the engine running that produced the English in Ireland that won so many awards .
HIBERNATE ==TO SLEEP FOR THE WINTER was the roman view of Ireland from a sunny Tuscany head .
they wrote off the whole country due to its climate and stated to only course one could take was to hibernate == hence christened HIBERNIA .
i like millions before me said fuck Irish and all who spend 13 years torturing me with text books without a picture of diagram --you all know nothing ---i had to learn Latin as an alter boy and my Irish was with the old Irish script with its SHAVE UUUS.
it was like being told you had to learn martian in case you went to mars .
total fuckology for a young persons head and millions were taught to despise the language by sadists .
today i with my deplorable Irish and my wifes assistance --i translate irish -- not to english but to IRISH by leaving it alone as much as possible and putting the sentences down with out correcting the grammar and diluting the power of this aincent powerful language into castrated modern crude english .
a trick very few know if you need the lyrics of your song or poem to transmit the power of what you wish to say but you do not possess the soul and the intellect to access your soul.
then translate into Irish and then back again and your work comes up several notches due to the natural philisophic power of the language.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom