Learning Irish is an act of political revolution

Fam Shox

Reaction score
I am embarking on a more serious bid to resurrect mo gaeilge . As we know, due to the influx of non nationals, Irish has been given short shrift in terms of its status in the cannon of Irish education.

It will soon be a private matter to maintain spoken and written Irish . I dare say it will be considered right wing soon enough, if it hasn't already.

I ressurected my Duolingo Irish course this morning and have some books on order. I have deliberately ordered Irish language novels from here, that I will translate as I go:

The irish have a problem with language, period. Its a revolutionary and evolutionary thing to speak the truth now, something we find hard to do in any language. I don't believe in the 'tir gan teanga tir gan anam' stuff anymore, and I printed enuf tshirts with that on it in my day. I will do up a 'tir gan firinne tir gan teanga' tshirt and see how they sell.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
*mo chuid Gaeilge.
😉
A learning moment:

free and clean

Reaction score
Mór mo náir:
Mo chlann féin a dhíol a máthair.

An inscription that should be etched into the gravestones of all nation-wreckers, from scum politicians and NGO traffickers - to the landlords and fat hotel owners who sold out their communities for a few pieces of silver.

valamhic

Reaction score
I can speak Irish but I can't read or spell it.
My measure is if I can understand the news Nuacht. I cannot fully do so. I was taught in mostly Irish at National School by a Donegal cruel masted from Milford. I can spell much better in Irish than English. Many of my associates including protestants use Irish words and phrases interchangeably. Blue Mickey had a short term girl Friend who grew holidayed in a Gaeltacht
and he would ask me to give him a few rosmantic words from my repitore. I told him half right and half wrong.

D'iosfainn sceallogy as mala a bhi in do laimha no as do fo-eadai. I put in the last bit.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
Another online resource:

In 1872, Micheál Ó Lóchàin published letters in The Irish World, one of many Irish Newspapers in America, under the pen name 'Gael' referencing "...the neglect to cultivate the National tongue ... suggesting the necessity of preserving the Irish language in order to preserve Irish nationality..."

He recommended establishing classes and Irish language organizations to solve this problem.

(Source: "'An Gaodhal' i Meiriceá" by Breandán Ó Buachalla in the book Go Meiriceá Siar, edited by Stíofán Ó hAnnracháin. Dublin, An Clóchomhar Teo., p. 38)

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom