Should I buy a pub in Ireland.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
I have noticed an aberration. It is cheaper to but a pub with a house than to buy a house on its own. It would be a private pub. What do ye think.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes that aberration is probably correct, commercial property is falling here, because in practice so is the economy especially tourism, while the housing market remains very overblown. If its affordable I'd say you could go for it, but be careful nothing you need to do on it requires any kind of planning permission, or expect to spend bucketfulls more money if so!

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Is tourism falling much, certainly who wants to see Roma gypsies

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score
Just buying the one pub? Disappointed in the lack of ambition in this plan. Surely rich Yanks would be buying a chain of pubs? Of course, not as large a chain of pubs as they have in Texas. Isn't that right Honey?

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Well this would not be a trading pub. They are obviously not viable and that is why they are so cheap

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Only a few miles from Kingsourt

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
I have noticed an aberration. It is cheaper to but a pub with a house than to buy a house on its own. It would be a private pub. What do ye think.
One reason is that stamp duty on a commercial property is 7.5% as opposed to 1% on residential. PP to convert to a dwelling only should not be that big a problem, but each council is different.

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score

Valamhic has agreed to provide security and he knows a brazzilian lady to tend bar. The problem is there is just a 2 bedroom apartment and she would have to share as many here are 3 of us
A private club where a Brazilian lady serves the punters. (Is Pub, not Knocking Shop)

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
kilkenny is littered with empty closed down pubs --- many are river-stone with mortar walls 3 ft thick no insulation and no damp course --a fffing nightmare to renovate and to own with its lovely lead pipes and dry rot in the wood paneling meant to hold the plaster to the roof .
for many of these buildings a quick accident with a hi mac would be the best advice .
a modern pub will have no insulation and as money was made rooms are added on which make no structural sense and the building has at least 6 collections of foundations all different in width and height and age and naturally all settling at their own god given pace and if your property has ONLY 6 fighting zones with the whole structure then you are lucky and the electrics and sewage had at least 5 designers none of whom talked to each other.
needs must is a statement every 10 ft in the property and you can be lucky but the way pubs grew in Ireland in the mad 70s when all could drive to the pub and stagger to your car and make your own way home -- was keep the pub open and tack on bits as demand required -- very rarely did an architect arrive at a clean site and build a large pub designed as a unit .
of all structures to buy an Irish pub requires the most bravery .
there are churches for sale some cheap due to the listed building status but if you are clever and have your feet on the ground you can dry-line the inside and have a sound but cold structure built and designed by one architect for one purpose and if you are clever you can re purpose .
O FAOLINES pub john st kilkenny is a modern structure built around a Belgian church as he could not get a church to buy and remove in Ireland
its different but not a mecca for tourists --tynans is and was a 18th century chemist and a pub and i tell people it was the only shop which could kill you and cure you on the same premises and its bar/chemist furniture /contents have attracted offers of 500,000 to remove to the USA .
kilkenny has langtons which is a university for publicans and they made eamonn the judge to allow somebody else to win Irish pub of the year.
its all very scientific and as the night goes on and you have had a few drinks the tills go up and as you approach the nightclub zone the tills increase also .
he spent 6 million on his private theater THE SET and 2 million on the only proper TEA ROOMS in Ireland --you have to go to kensington to find their equal .
his son is a professional industrial designer and designed BRIDIES next door for another son --the staff wear 18th century aprons which stretch from your neck to your shoes and the gentry of the town drink there.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
There are churches for sale some cheap due to the listed building status but if you are clever and have your feet on the ground you can dry-line the inside and have a sound but cold structure built and designed by one architect for one purpose and if you are clever you can re purpose .
I don't know Aul Lad. I always felt turning a former place of worship into a drinking den was something of a sacrilege.

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
Nope, you would be wasting your time.

If you are thinking of purchasing a pub do so in Greece or Spain, Irish bars are booming, especially in places like Teneriffe where summer is 24/7.

In Ireland you are faced with huge overheads including energy and licences.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
Nope, you would be wasting your time.

If you are thinking of purchasing a pub do so in Greece or Spain, Irish bars are booming, especially in places like Teneriffe where summer is 24/7.

In Ireland you are faced with huge overheads including energy and licences.
a quality Irish pub is unknown in most of Europe and due to the mad mindset of English landlords who have to give most of their income to the brewery as the brewery's own most of the pubs --they do daft things and you have a class historic building and a well heeled clientele passing the door and what do they do --put in flashing /bell ringing /mad fucker one armed bandits and dart board and never ending mindless darts matches on multiple screens which are in every location and they create white noise with the sick background MUZAK competing with the mindless darts commentary which despite dark threats and loud shouts from me "" do you need to torture your customers """ and the classy atmosphere/building the classy wealthy clients want is trashed by a moron behind the bar .
you will not see this crap in quality Irish pubs and a big microwave and a sack of frozen Cornish pasties is not pub food -- they do not get it at all in the UK.
and Irish pubs in Spain are a bit tacky usually and many are British .

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Very good nyrresting and thought provoking input, i am glad I started this thread.

Surely buying a place still open would eliminate structural problems

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
And I am not looking at millions. I am looking at a say 400000 euro house with my own private pub attached.

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
And I am not looking at millions. I am looking at a say 400000 euro house with my own private pub attached.
Are you looking at moving back to Ireland, or just a mere investment?

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Maybe neither. Using it as a base for private ireland tours

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom